I am a movie fan just like anybody else, however my movie genre is from the past, everything from Mary Pickford and Rudolph Valentino in the silent era to Grace Kelly and James Stewart of the 1940's and 1950's. Since I was young I had always expressed a passion for the "oldies", at the age of 5 my mother and I would stay up past my bedtime to enjoy the television show Zorro with star Guy Williams. Then when I was about 7 or 8 my mother and I would watched The Twilight Zone, this was the beginning of my dedication for oldies. I not only expressed an interest in the television shows, but also in the history and culture from back then. I didn't become a real movie fan until I saw my very first black and white film, To Have and Have Not with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Becall. From that moment on I became infatuated and I soon turned on to Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and from there my knowledge of actors had increasingly grew so much so that I in fact introduced many actors to my mother, we grew a stronger bond and we would often watch old movies and fell more in love with these talented people such as Gary Cooper, Laurence Olivier, Jean Harlow and William Powell. If you yourself are a movie fan just like I, I would like to encourage you to sit down and watch some of the movies I will like to recommend if you haven't seen them already.
If you will like to enjoy a fantastic war movie of 1941, Sergeant York with Gary Cooper and Jean Leslie is the movie for you. Its based on a true story of a man by the name of Alvin C. York who was from Tennessee, who had fallen in love with a woman but is turned down. He thought it was because he had very little money and later joined a shooting contest and wins some money, with that money he buys land, however the owner of that land sells it to his rival who is also infatuated with the same girl. He becomes drunk and that night he sets off to kill the man who he strongly dislikes, on the way a strike of lightening hits a branch, he wasn't a very religious man but with this, he takes it as a sign from God and changes his attitude. When the military wanted to draft him into the First World War he refuses because he doesn't believe in killing people but he is drafted anyway. While in training he shows excellent skill and is promoted to a higher rank and is offered to be an instructor. His unit soon goes into France to fight, he does an amazing feat that is too good to be true but it indeed happened in real life. I will not expose what he did, you will have to watch and find out.
I will continue to recommend movies and will do some history around the movie, if there is any movie you will like to share or wish to know more about feel free to suggest them to me. I will also give some history throughout the years of cinema and its progress from Hollywood's Golden Age.
Also check out TCM's website here at TCM.com and you will find out great information of your favorite movies.
Sierra Miranda
No comments:
Post a Comment